Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Dividing Wall

This was the former barrier surrounding West Berlin and a symbol of the Cold War, built on August 13, 1961. It was opened peacefully on November 9, 1989 and torn down by the end of 1990, as Communism collapsed and the cold war ended. Today there are only few remains left to be seen. I had a mixed feeling after I visited this area. Checkpoint Charlie is almost not existed now apart from some photos explaining the situation. The sharp blazer on the iron fence and the wall that divided the East and West for years are incomprehensible for me. It is a bit hard for me to relate and identify what the Berliners have gone through must be very miserable…

A city that is divided into two overnight, imagine if you just happened to visit a family or a friend at the other side of the city and ended up unable to return to your home due to this sudden wall? I am sure such incident happened in reality and I hope Berliners would have recovered from this tragic memory…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin