Pages

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

My Namagashi (生菓子)

This is a compilation of Namagashi that I found in the internet search. This is something that I want to try when I am in Kyoto next week. The Japanese name is Namagashi (生菓子) and it is typically wrapped with either green tea paste or red bean paste. The shapes are usually vary according to the four season and thus I would not expect to see the spring and summer themed namagashi. However, I am expecting to catch the autumn and winter especially Christmas and New year shape namagashi. Frankly speaking I am not sure I will like it as it often very sweet and the skin is made of mochi (rice flour). But I am very excited when I see these beautiful treats that I would consider for the eyes only than actually putting them in your mouth and eat them. In Japanese culture, one piece of Namagashi is often accompanied with Matcha 抹茶(powdered Green tea), the tea is usually bitter and strong and thus the sweetness of Namagashi neutralize and smooth the taste bud.

Well... let me check that out and let you know. I either like it or hate it I think. But I will try at least once.

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin