Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2007

A lovely little Chapel - Stavropoleos Church



When I was told that I have arrived the location, I doubted as it is in a very small alley with some construction almost in front of the church.  I have a feeling that this one has been forgotten by the Romanians in Bucharest.  After all there are countless of churches in the city.  Stavropoleos Church was built by Greek monk Ioanichie Stratonikes  in 1724 in  late-Bráncoveanu  style.  Prominent Romanian architect Ion Mincu designed the courtyard and restored this little gem in 1899.  Inside are richly ornate wood and stone carvings, coloured with paintings and frescoes.


Economic Consortium Palace stand diagonally opposite Stavropoleos church.


The church is miserably small and if I was not told explicitly, I would not even take a look at it, as it looks like one of the many post communist ruins.  I like the court yard very much.  A very small courtyard with some stone display but I find it lovely, it characters stand out strongly from other mainstream Orthodox churches.


 

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin