Pages

Friday, November 23, 2007

Dutch Integration Fuss

Today I went to the city hall to attend a ‘integration’ appointment of which I have to bring my Dutch language proficiency certificates that I have taken with the authority (which didn’t passed everything then) and I also brought along the one from famous language institute in the Netherlands of which I have demonstrated level 2.1. However, I was told that the one from Language Institute is not recognized by the integration law. I was speechless, and stunt…. the one week intensive course in the famous language institute costs a fortune and Princess Maxima herself also went to the same institute for her Dutch language skill and this institute is not recognized by the Integration Law. I couldn’t believe that as when I took the course, I have Norwegian and Japan Ambassadors and many other corporate senior executives studying the language together. And the certificate is not recognized by the stupid Dutch integration law.

What really raise my bar is that I was told I must take an exam of a higher level (level 3) and the officer refused to recommend me for level 2 exam. This is really unbelievable, if level 2 is the requirement, why should I do the level 3 exam? After all, I am here not to beg money from the government, in fact I have paid a high amount of tax each year. I am here to contribute to the Dutch labor market and rising up the new Dutch generations in my workplace.

I am completely pissed off by the officer and entered into a series of arguments and raise my objections in Dutch ( I am surprise that I could do that in Dutch pretty well) and in fact at the end the officer said according to her, my Dutch level is definitely above level 2, however, according to the law, I am required to ‘integrate’ and to do that by taking the level 3 exam in the coming 5 years. I am not sure on what aspect according to the Dutch law that I am not integrated in the Dutch society, perhaps because I have not asked for ‘social welfare’ from the welfare department. Perhaps I pay too much tax, or perhaps I do not have a low labor job but a management position.

The Dutch integration law is like a license to kill, of which it is meant to target a very specific group of people, however being a non-EU citizen, I become a victim. I am sure they are many of them out there like me, who work and contribute to the society but yet discriminated by the LAW.

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin