Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Greetings from Kyoto

Well, just slightly over 2 and a half hours, I arrived at Kyoto Station. Upon arrival, Kyoto is familiar but yet distance for a start. It was not difficult to find my apartment, a rather nice and spacious one along the kamogawa river at the Gion district.


The weather is really hot, so hot that i stayed in the apartment till late afternoon when the heat is off a bit to start rocking the city.

i am really in the midst of old Kyoto, with the old brownish merchant houses next to my block and I just let go the map and decided to get lost in the old quarter and soak in the atmosphere. Some areas of Gion are jam-packed with tourists, but as soon as you walked into the next alley, you could have the whole place for yourself.

After a long walk, I treated myself this bowl of dessert, a mixed jelly, mochi, azuki bean paste, chestnut, okinawa black sugar syrup, and topped with a matcha ice-cream and a heavy sprinkle of matcha powder.. yummy and refreshing after a long walk under the hot temperature.

The Gion festival still continues, some some events were on today and tomorrow there will be a bigger one at Yasaka Shrine. Ladies in yukata is everywhere, japanese or foreigners alike.

After eating out for weeks, tonight I cooked myself a home cooked meal. Nothing complicated but using the freshest ingredients in the season. I fetched everything from the supermarket nearby to me.


Miso soup, cold tofu, cucumber and fresh shiso mixed, a grilled cod fish and some pickles and surely with a bowl of steaming hot Japaneses rice.


I will leave you with the view of the opposite side of the kamogawa river, this is the view from the balcony of my apartment. The night is still young at Gion district but i will retreat for an early night...

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin