Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

return.to.childhood.apom.balik

yes, i am becoming nostalgic! nostalgic about my childhood, most importantly about my taste of childhood.  apom balik, sort of malay pancakes.  sometime i had this for breakfast as far as  i could recall….

Photobucket
i almost erase apom balik from my precious memory. it's not until i recreate sweet black char kueh (fried radish cake) and yum abacus beads that this dish suddenly jump into my mind. it's like waking up a sleeping child...  that's the reason i like about food, a taste that wakes up a sleeping child in me, a childhood taste that unveil another childhood taste...
Photobucket
i am old fashion when come to pounding, i could easily crush the peanut using an electric blender but i prefer to do it the traditional way because i am in nostalgic mood. so mortar and pestle i use.  i like the peanut just coarse and inconsistent in sizes.

Photobucket
i like the texture of my apom balik, the sunny and crispy side, a bite on the the blend of peanut, margarine and sugar to some extends allow me to see my happy childhood face once again…. a happy me eating the warm apom balik and a happy me beside my mummy as she carried me in this photo...

Photobucket
i reduced the sugar by half and substitute butter with margarine (blame the health concious me!).  I use the okinawa black sugar and cinnamon mix that left over from cinnamon buns.  the flavor would be stronger and real if i use butter but nah... nevermind afterall what is important to me is the fact that  i have rekindle my childhood once again through apom balik.

2 comments:

terri@adailyobsession said...

hi el! the apom looks good. i like them the old-fashioned way, thick and meaty n yours look very delicious.

tt photo of you n your mom is priceless. my mom's best friend was from kuching n she dressed like your mom too long ago. i think kuching chinese really took to the malay costumes then. n i have tt nyonya cookbook too:)

malaymui said...

thanks, Terri! I also realized my mum dressed in these nyonya costumes quite often..

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin