Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Art of Whisking

Do you whisk? Most of us probably whisk egg or pancake batter for making omelet or pancake. I use electrical mixer when making the batter for cake and I use this bamboo whisker when I make a cup of matcha (powdered green tea). This is the art that I acquired during the last trip to Kyoto. I even bought the matcha powder and the bamboo whisk and the bowl so that I could still enjoy the taste of Kyoto at home. In Kyoto tea ceremony is a big ritual and formal matter, for me it is just a new way to drink tea. This afternoon I made matcha for us as tea, real bitter tea but full of the antioxidants.

Playing with my camera, focused on the bamboo whisk

Playing with focus, the focus this time is on the matcha powder

After a good whisk, a bowl of good matcha should have a good layer of smooth froth

Like this....

Top - Japanese Hojicha flavor, Bottom - black sesame taste

And is best accompanied by something small. pretty and sweet. I don't have wagashi anymore but I substitute wagashi with macarons which is a perfect substitute. These two macarons are also from Aoki Sadaharu (bought from Paris).

I hope you have a good Saturday, as for us today is a lazy day, nothing eventful or active just sleeping out, lounging, reading and Internet surfing mainly researching for our up coming trip as there are still a few days unplanned.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin