Pages

Friday, June 05, 2009

Kimchi & Nyonya Rice Dumpling Filling

A few days ago I marinated my first ever kimchi. Today I finally have a taste of it...
This photo is the kimchi after one day (24 hours) in the room temperature. The excess water was remove before I wrapped them in plastic bag and put them into the fridge.

Kimchi is ready to be served after 2 days, this is how it looks like after 3 days. The photo is not very sharp as I took this using my mobile phone. Taste wise, it is very similar to what I have eaten in Korean restaurant. I gave 1/3 to my mother in-law this afternoon to try when she came over to collect the 'Bak Chang' filling.

My mum in-law is going to make some rice dumplings or 'Bak Chang' (粽子) this weekend eventhough the Chinese Double five festival (commonly known as dragon boat festival or 端午节) has passed last week on 28th May. I made some Nyonya filling for her to wrap the Bak Chang. Over the past few years, she always made with her cantonese filling which is not bad but I prefer the taste of Malaysia Nyonya Bak Chang. I cooked the filling yesterday, a lot of cutting, chopping and pounding (mushroom, shallots, garlic, dried shrimps, chestnut, chicken, candied melon, corriander seeds) but the final taste is very similiar to what my mum used to make, except I substitute the pork with chicken. The filling is now with my mum in-law, I am excited to receive bak chang next week, although it will most likely not in the triangular shape but rectangular shape. We will see....

As for the lunch today, I combined the nyonya bak chang filling with some left over Japanese rice and made 2 onigri for myself as lunch and eat it with my marinated kimchi. The sweet tone of the onigri is balance out by the spicy and little salty kimchi.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin