Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mentaiko Spaghetti (明太子スパゲッティ)

I didn't cook for a long time (no mood, no energy), but somehow I am in the mood for cooking today on my day off. I guess cooking relaxes me. We wanted to try this Japanese interpretation of western spaghetti for awhile and I finally made it tonight.


Dinner set



Mentaiko (salted fish roe) spaghetti (明太子スパゲッティ), with shredded nori (seaweed) and topped with basil leaves (a substitute for shiso leave). The egg supposed to be half boiled but it turned out hard boiled. Despite of the egg, the mentaiko spaghetti turned out really tasty, the saltiness and fishiness create a great aroma ....


Side dish - simmered eggplant



Side dish - konbu (kelp) marinated in ponzu sauce


This is made from the leftover kelp after making the dashi broth for the simmered eggplant. Japanese never waste any ingredient, for example the water that used to boil the spaghetti is used to mix the mentaiko to the spaghetti over the pan.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the eggplant dish looks so delish!

Eggplant is really one of the simplest dishes to make anywhere in the world so long as you can get hold of tofu and sauce package.

Here I bought a sauce pack so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin