Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Remake of Gion Koishi (祇園小石) Dessert

With 32C temperature, all I have in my mind is how to cool down the heat.... My thought directed me to the wonderful cold dessert that I have tried in Kyoto in July at Gion Koishi (祇園小石).

The shop front along Shijo
The interior, with an cafe at the back and on 2nd floor



A great summer treat from Gion Koishi (祇園小石), one of the many that I have tried in July. It is made up of mochi, chestnut, matcha jelly, azuki bean paste, kokuto syrup, matcha ice cream, and generous matcha powder.


Now here is the remake that I am trying to recreate at home.... starting with the preparation in the morning


The Okinawa black sugar is called 'kokuto', I happened to have a pack from last December Kyoto's trip and not knowing what to do with it then. Now I took a few and melted them in a little water under low heat to create the syrup. Then with the agar-agar, I made 2 types of jelly (1) Japanese black bean tea version and (2) Japanese matcha version.

Of course the trouble to make the mochi for the first time. I searched in the Internet and found a simplest microwave version.


In the evening, after the beach and dinner, I started to assembly my Gion Koishi dessert.....




This is the result.....




The azuki paste is from a can and it has been sweeten and thus by adding the kokuto further sweeten the taste.... Luckily I didn't add any sugar on the jelly, but still we both find it a little too sweet...


Otherwise, it is a perfect dessert for a 32C weather. I will definately do this again on another warm day....

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin