Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wagashi: Ayugashi (鮎菓子 若鮎)

Another summer wagashi in Japan. Ayugashi ((鮎菓子 若鮎)) is a river fish shaped confection with thin waffle/crepe skin, and wrap over bubbly soft mochi and the exterial features of eyes, fins are branded on with hot iron.


My first encounter with Ayugashi is at Kawagoe. We walked by this wagashi shop and I bought different type of wagashi from this shop including a Ayugashi. Ayu is also known as sweetfish, one type of fish that swims upstream and against the water current.

A wagashi shop at Kawagoe, the shop front loaded with wagashi goodies...


Hard to choose...



My first Ayugashi from Kawagoe, eaten at our apartment in Tokyo





The texture is so soft and starchy... love it... and the fragrance of the pancake is lovely...



Then in Kyoto, I went to Heianden 平安殿 at the Higashiyama area and get two more ayugashi



The Kyoto Heianden 平安殿 wagashi shop nearby Heian Shrine.

The packaging of Heianden 平安殿 Ayugashi - filled with soft white mochi





I had this a few days after I returned to the Netherlands, the texture is still as good. They are not sweet but nice texture.





Heianden 平安殿 Ayugashi - filled with matcha mochi



May be I leave it in the fridge too long, the waffle and the mochi are both a little too dry


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin