Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

hamam.istanbul

In the evening, I went for a Turkish bath experience. I actually wanted to go to another one but it is not open on Sunday so I took the tram and hopped off at Cemberlitas Hamam

Cemberlitas Hamam main entrance, just directly opposite the tram station looks rather shabby and bogus...

Much to my surprise the receptionist is a Japanese lady and in front of me there is a Japanese couple. I selected my choice of bath, a basic bath with scrub and quick massage, paid the price and go to the ladies section.

The whole place is filled with tourists (sadly I am one of them) who come after a Turkish bath experience.

Despite of the shabby exterior design, the interior especially the bath area actually live up to the expectation of an Ottoman bath

The hot marble/stone where one lying down to perspire and sweat before the scrub and massage

The sink where one use to wash the body after the scrub and massage, and also a hot jacuzzi for a hot soak....

This is the view when one lie on the hot stone and the view of the Dom top with light shining in...
After the bath, I rested at the resting area and enjoyed a cup of Turkish tea and much to my surprise is that my body continues to perspire and sweat keeps coming down even 30 min after the bath...
I wish it could be more authentic but my Turkish girlfriend told me that hamam (Turkish bath) these days are only for tourists, she herself never been to one in all her life... so I guess she is right...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin