Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

spice.bazaar.istanbul

Last day in Istanbul, I am taking a night flight out... Since I am still missing the rose perfume oil, I go back to Spice Bazaar again... It is a grey day with expected heavy rain later.

At the New Mosque compound, it looks very different in daylight. Lots of pigeons and also a steady stream of crowds rushing for ferry, crossing to the other side of town, Turks women doing the grocery shopping and tourists with cameras...

New Mosque courtyard, a slight detour prior to entering Spice Bazaar...

Spice Bazaar, really is not as touristic as Grand Bazaar and rather charming and above all it smells good
Chick peas, Almonds, Pistachios, in general nuts are quite delicious here ...

Colorful merchandise from ceramics, Turkish dried fruits, sweets, local delicacies to copper ware kitchen utensils

more exotic spices and tea leaves

Sahlep, my new found Turkish hot drink, rather sticky and lumpy, taste of milk and generous powdered cinnamon. Sahlep is a flour made from grinding the dried tubers of orchid and it is good to fight hangover, and digestive disorder... In fact it is here in the Spice Bazaar that I had my cheapest Sahlep, 2.5TL compared to others selling at 5TL...

Some shish kebab on display at Bab-i Hayat but it was too early for me to tug in any meat...

Anyway, mission accomplished, I got a small bottle of Turkish Rose perfume oil. While strolling at the bazaar I actually went in to a leather shop and was attracted by the imitate Bottega Veneta woven handbag. Although it is an imitation, the leather really soft and high quality, but I didn't strike a deal because the price is 50TL more than what I am willing to pay... Otherwise I would have carry a classic Bottega woven handbag at a fraction of original retail price.... Then again I can do without these worldly things...

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin