Pages

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Foodie April

This is a foodie blog with some food that we have eaten by never got around to post them. Another month past by, here are some of the food we ate in April.

April is a scone month, I made a lot of scones with slight variation in the recipes, sometime I used egg, other time add yogurt or milk. From plain scone to the one with dry cranberries, raisins to apple cinnamon.. It takes only 30 min to make including baking time and a rather quick and easy breakfast on the go for both Johannes and me on working day..

Earl Grey Muffin - I also baked one batch Muffin in April. In the basic batter, I added one sachet of Twining Lady Earl Grey tea to the mixture. I still prefer making scones as they are much simpler and easy to make.

On one of the Saturday branch, I made smoked salmon sandwich with pouched egg. Rather filling branch that last till mid afternoon.

Petit dejeuner - On some weekend morning we had petit dejeuner, Johannes usually baked some croissants from a can. So, it is basically just folding the dough to shape and bake in the oven then we start our morning with croissant and café au lait. Bonjour!


Bak Kut Teh - a typical Singapore/Malaysian dish. With slightly more than 500g spare ribs, 10 ground white pepper, 2 garlic clove, a few dried mushrooms and a Bak Kut Teh herb mix (I used the secret recipe courtesy by my youngest brother who briefly run Bak kut teh business for a while, otherwise this is generally available in Chinese grocery shop). This is a rather light and easy drinking herbal tonic soup compared to the off the shelf version. I actually like this version as it is drinkable even the next day. Thanks bro, for the mix!


Childhood taste Tofu - with one more tofu in the fridge, I decided to cook something without recipe but based on some childhood memory. A handful of dried shrimps, spring onion, slices of chili, saute with sesame oil. The tofu is warm up in a pot of water. Pour the sauteed ingredient over the tofu and sprinkle with some rice vinegar.


Eating Out - We ate out one of the evening at Keraton Damai at Den Haag. A rather famous Indonesian restaurant in town and the restaurant were full when we arrived. We ordered the rice table with satay. The assorted satay were great, meat were so tender and moist, the taste is also more of the home cooked meal, of the lighter side of the palette.


Taiwanese snack - made of dates paste and cashew nut. It is full of the aroma of the dates and not sweet which made me ate 2 package in a roll.

Onigri with rice mixed with furikake and topped with salted salmon roe. Onigri is one of the best way to finish off leftover rice and I made onigri quite often when I am working from home.

Lobster - This is not a dish that I cooked but by my mum-in-law. Until this day I am still puzzled why we eat lobster on an ordinary week day.

So much of a foodie April, will continue to savour in May...

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

You may also like these

Blog Widget by LinkWithin